Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Yar!

Before

My New Year's resolution is to keep up with this here blog in a more timely and consistent manner. Hope y'all had a good New Year's celebration and that you are looking forward to a new president's inauguration, I know I am. I talked about a cone 6 soda firing in my last entry, and I have some photos from said firing to fit in this entry.
The firing went well, smoothly, and makes me ponder the need for ceramics to be fired to cone 10 in atmospheric kilns. I know there are plenty of reasons to fire hotter: durability, certain crystalline effects, flashing, color, etc., but I was pretty pleased with the range of color, glaze reactions, and flashing from my last firing, and I know that Mr. Doug Dotson, whose kiln I fired and who normally fires a cone 10 soda firing, is intrigued by the concept of less fuel, less time, and some pretty similar results at cone 6. More info and pics later, and let me know what you think of firing lower, pros and cons. Catch you in a few.

After



2 comments:

  1. Hey Ronan, Happy New Year! I'm all for saving $$$ on fuel cost. One thing that came to mind after reading your post is that clay maturity is the key to, not only salt/soda effects, but also to porosity-absorption and durability.
    I am currently looking into firing at a lower temperature and will be doing clay tests soon, I hope.

    Good luck.
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy I checked out what your doing! I'm really have a hard time with figuring out what to do with my un-used salt kiln in the back yard. Sort a sad story in my eyes. Wow...this cone6 your doing is sparking my interest some more. I'm getting ready to throw a bunch of stoneware to put in Ron's kiln. It will be a cone10 kiln but I needed something to "think about" I guess. I'll keep checking in. I'd love to see some close-ups of the pots!Jen

    ReplyDelete