Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Back from Floyd


Back in the Big Chap from the workshop at the Jacksonville Arts Center in Floyd, VA. Gotta say, Floyd is a very nice place and I miss it already. Floyd reminds me of Mitchell County, NC, where I grew up, only more crunchy and with a lot more hippies. All in all, a great place, and I highly recommend a visit. A great time to go is when the 16 Hands Studio Tour is going on. During Friday, our kiln cooling day, or as Ann put it as a "spoonerism": "coon-killin day", my class and I toured around Floyd and visited some of the 16 Hands artist studios. My class and I were very fortunate to meet and hang out with Ellen Shankin (pot at top), who has a beautiful house and showroom. We dropped by Silvie Granatelli's, who was away, but we were able to visit with her apprentices, Wendy and Sarah, who gave us a great tour and were patient with our questions while they tried to pack up for a show in town. We ended our tooling around at Rick Hensley (pot at bottom) and Donna Polsano's, who, once again, have beautiful showrooms, although Donna had zero/zilch/nada pots because she had sold out at the St. Croix Studio Tour Sale in Minnesota...congrats Donna! I'm looking forward to going back and delighted to know its only 2.5 hours away from Chapel Hill. Hoping to make the Fall 16 Hands sale and also dreaming about an invite to be part of the sale sometime in the future...just putting it out there for the universe to hear. Thanks to Ann, Antoinette, and Edith for a great workshop week and to Floyd and Floydians for providing such a great landscape to work in.


No comments:

Post a Comment