Thursday, December 23, 2010

Last Year's Last cone 6 Soda

Wanted to get some pics up from a cone 6 soda firing I did with Teresa Pietsch, Nancy Garrett, and a few pots of two of my students, Savannah Scarborough and Andy "Shake and Bake" Maynard. Overall, it was a great firing! No grodu in pots (except one cup of mine), no glaze running, super warm surfaces, nice orange peel in places. Great, great firing with a great group of friends. Now, if I could get them to come help clean up...(thanks Teresa for all the scraping!)
My pots are destined for the Kiln Gallery and Studio in Fairhope, Alabama. I have a solo show for the month of March 2011 in the gallery part and I'm teaching a cone 6 soda firing workshop near the end of the show. So, we figured I'd better have some cone 6 soda pots to show what things could look like! My normal studio work is cone 03 earthenware fired in an electric kiln, but I have been firing cone 6 soda at least twice a year for over five years now, and I have a good handle on some good clay bodies, slips, terra sigs, and glazes that are very responsive to the soda atmosphere. Check out the show in Alabama if you can, and let any interested parties know about the workshop, it should be a good one! Oh, my solo show follows an exhibition by Ron Meyers and Geoff Pickett, two potters whose work I love, and I'm also intrigued by the work of Maria Dondero, but I'm not that familiar with her pots. Check out the Kiln Studio for more info and images of said potters work.




No comments:

Post a Comment